I love old books. The brown crisp
pages and the intoxicating fragrance fill me with nostalgia. I hold the book in
my hands with tenderness reserved for newborns and I can’t stop myself from
burying my nose between the pages and taking a strong whiff every few minutes. An old book definitely adds another dimension to my
reading pleasure.
So I am currently knee deep in an
'old books' phase. I finished one a couple of days ago and I am already half
way through the second one.
The first one, 'My Cousin Rachel'
by Daphne du Maurier holds a special significance for me. Two of my closest childhood
friends gifted it to me on my 20th birthday, the turn of a new decade in my
life. I remember the three of us were heavily into du Maurier at the time, having
just devoured 'Rebecca', we were craving for more Victorian style
romantic mysteries that were the author's forte.
We were still in college and were
understandably hard up for money. So we came up with an ingenious plan. We got
our folks to approve a special 'birthday gifts' allowance and used the money to
gift each other books that all three of us wanted to read. The 'birthday girl'
would enjoy the privilege of reading the books first and then it would
circulate.
D, V and I enjoyed 'My Cousin
Rachel' as much as we did 'Rebecca' and the book came back to me, its rightful
owner.
Years went by and we got busy
with the business of growing up. I finished college in Mumbai, moved to Pune
for my post graduate course, moved back to Mumbai two years later to work. With
work, came money and with money came an avalanche of books. 'My Cousin Rachel'
was forgotten.
A month before I entered the 3rd
decade of my life, Ninad and I were visiting an old friend from my Pune days.
As we sat in her drawing room, catching up, my eyes were drawn to a shelf with
a couple of rows devoted to books. I went up to take a closer look at her
collection. She had an old copy of 'My Cousin Rachel '. When I held the book in
my hands, I knew it was mine. I turned the first page and there was that
dedication written a decade ago-" To Shiril on her 20th birthday. May all
your hopes and dreams come true". I felt many emotions in that moment but
one emotion overwhelmed all else. Guilt. I had forgotten about the book. I didn’t
even know that someone had borrowed it, let alone that the person had kept it
for years.
So years later, as I was about to
turn 30 I stumbled upon the book that in
a way ushered in my 20s. In someone else’s home, no less. Providence? Maybe. I
can’t convince myself that it is simply a coincidence. Like Master Uguay said,
“There are no accidents” :)
I read the book again recently and enjoyed
it much. It’s an old book now and is
just as an old book should be. But this one is so much more. As I turned its
musty pages I was reminded of the decade gone by, the journey from being a confused,
unsure, wide eyed girl to the woman I am today. In my head I could see myself
as I was then and I wished for a moment that I could go back in time and tell the
young me, ‘Girl, you are going to be fine.’ :)
I'm sure that in her heart, the younger you knew she'd have a lot more fun getting older - getting hitched, settling in pune, getting her first passport :P, Doollaly's and it goes on... This is a heartwarming post and takes me back instantly to that birthday and the ritual passing around the book :) I read most of my classics this way. You know something, you should write more, this is an awesome first post!
ReplyDeleteHey Vini, Thanks :) I've posted another one.Don't forget to comment.
ReplyDelete