I finished reading Leon Uris’s ‘The
Haj’ last night.
The novel is based on the circumstances
that led to the creation of the State of Israel and the human tragedy that followed
this historic event.
It revolves around a few central
characters-
Haj Ibrahim, leader of his clan
His youngest son, Ishmael (the
story is from his perspective)
and Gideon Asch, the sensitive
and humane leader of the Palestinian Jews.
Most of us are aware of the long
standing Israeli-Palestinian conflict. As a kid I remember the world news
segment of DD news being dominated by the strife in that region. So I knew the brass
tacks but never really understood why both sides were engaged in a never ending
war that ruined the chances of a normal life for generations of their people.
This book is a human story about
the people whose lives changed irreversibly owing to a battle fueled by false
pride, hatred and vengeance.
It is one thing to learn about an
event through history books and quite another thing to experience the pain, hopelessness,
helplessness and destitution of a people even if it is only through words.
I got involved in the story and
felt devastated by the human catastrophe that struck the Arabs and Jews of Palestine.
Almost overnight the Arabs were forced to flee from the land that was their
home for thousands of years and were reduced to penniless beggars in refugee
homes where they were shunned by fellow Arabs and lived lives that stripped
them of their human dignity.
I felt the anguish of Haj Ibrahim
who could not save his people from themselves. I sensed his overwhelming
feeling of impotency when he allowed tradition and dogma to stop him from doing
what he knew was right for his people.
I felt the despair of Ishmael, a
bright young boy, mature beyond his age, with a yearning to learn and a
willingness to work hard who had to give up on his dream of a better life for
himself and his family.
Most of all I felt Nada’s pain
(Haj’s youngest daughter). Her character gave me a sense of what it means to be
born a girl in the home of a tribal Arab. How feeling imprisoned in your own body can
drive one to actions that extract a price too heavy to pay.
When I put the book down last
night, I realized yet again, that books are an incredible boon in my life.
We are all imprisoned in our
lives in a way. We are defined by where and when we are born. We are shaped by
our limited experiences. We are influenced by the people we encounter. But
books open up the world for us and expose us to experiences that otherwise we
would never have.
Jane Austen’s novels gave me a taste
of the life of a lady of leisure in Regency England. ‘Sophie’s Choice’ was a glimpse
into the trauma of being a Jew imprisoned in Auschwitz during the holocaust. ‘Nectar
in a Sieve’ made me feel petty, sulking about the recession because it gave me
a sense of the utter poverty that agricultural tenants in this country faced in
the first half of the 20th century. There is a part in the book
where the central characters in the novel scrounge in the soil for a few grains
of rice. ‘The Notebook’ brought me
close to the plight of hundreds of innocent little girls that are sold into
prostitution in this country.
I could go on and on. But the
point is, the books I have read have helped me break the shackles of my life. They have bestowed on me the privilege of seeing many worlds, living many lives
and entering many brilliant minds.
No comments:
Post a Comment